Laura Kaplan - Director of Counseling 908-273-3414
Adriana Loaiza - Secretary 908-273-1193
When students enter Lawton C. Johnson Summit Middle School (LCJSMS) each one is assigned a school counselor who will help guide them through their three years in middle school. The school counselors work with students and families to make the middle school experience a happy and successful one.
Counseling is a process that offers a safe environment to explore feelings and discuss concerns. Through this process, counseling can help students and families explore new ideas, problem solving skills and coping strategies.
There are many issues and concerns that may come up during the middle school years. Some of the things a counselor can help with are...
* Assisting students to make decisions about friends, relationships, and/or other social concerns
* Learning to cope with the many academic challenges and personal problems that students face
* Developing positive self-esteem and character traits
* Discussing courses and levels to enhance student's performance
* Providing study skills and organizational strategies
* Exploring career options
* Supporting the families as their child progresses through the middle school years